Cmesys.exe is an unwelcome bit of software from adware maker Gator. Other sources of the software include CME, Home Cinema, Acoustica Effects Pack, Pocket Informant, SmartSound Quicktracks plugin or DVD Solution, and Argus Digital Camera by Gain Publishing.
Cmesys.exe can be found in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\cmeii\cmesys.exe. The adware is known to make the following registry entry:
This entry enables the program to start whenever you start your Windows PC.
Cmesys.exe Adware Problems
Slow system problems are one of the main problems caused by the smesys.exe adware when it loads at system startup. Once loaded, the adware monitors your surfing habits and sends the information it collects back to its makers. The adware can not only stalk your surfing habits, but can also create and send extremely annoying pop-up ads to your desktop. These pop-up ads remain until you click on at least one of them. This not only causes user annoyance, but also results in increased CPU usage and further deterioration in system performance.
As a vigilant user, if pop-up ads suddenly start appearing on your computer, you must immediately suspect an unwanted intrusion. To check it out, use a trustworthy anti-spyware program such as Spyware Cease to thoroughly scan your PC and determine accurately whether or not you have spyware, adware and other malware installed on your system. It is also recommended that you run an antivirus scan to find out whether a Trojan or a virus was bundled along with the cmesys.exe adware. Sometimes adware programs can serve as a gateway for viruses to enter your system.
The most important reason why this application and all other adware should be removed immediately from your system is because they are a threat to your security. Having a software monitor your online activity without your knowledge and consent is hardly good business practice. Moreover, you may not even know whether or not your personal information is being phished.
Another behavior cmesys.exe might exhibit is taking over the MS SQL port 1433, and thereby interfering with the MS SQL client’s ability to connect.
Solving Cmesys.exe Problems
To resolve problems and security issues caused by the cmesys.exe adware file, you need to delete it from your system.
There are several ways to delete this pesky process. Here are some of them.
- Kill the Cmesys.exe ProcessYou cannot delete cmesys.exe right off the bat because this process runs at system startup. You will need to do the following:
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del or Ctrl + Shift + Esc key combination.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Select CMESys.exe.
- Click the End Process button.
- Now search for the location of the cmesys.exe file. This is usually,
C:\Program Files\Common Files\cmeii\cmesys.exe.
- Navigate to the file and then delete it.
- Disable Cmesys.exe From Loading at System Startup
- Click on Start and go to Run.
- Enter msconfig and then press Enter to display the System Configuration Utility.
- Display the Startup tab.
- Look for CMEsys and GStartup and clear their respective checkboxes.
- Exit the System Configuration Utility and choose not to restart your PC when prompted
- Using Windows Explorer, locate and permanently delete the
C:\Program Files\Common Files\CMEII
and C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMTfolders.
- Uninstall Gator
- If Gator is currently running on your PC, you will see its icon in the System Tray. Right-click on this and select Exit to close the application.
- Next, open the Control Panel and then select Add or Remove Programs.
- In the Currently installed programs list, locate Gator and then click Remove.
- Choose options to completely remove Gator from your PC and proceed with the uninstallation process.
These steps remove only Gator E-Wallet and usually leave behind the GAIN (Gator Advertiser Information Network) related files installed on your PC. The only way to get rid of these files is to remove all free applications and services that came with the program. Once all of these are removed, GAIN will self-uninstall.
Add or Remove Programs is known to leave behind traces of the programs you uninstall. This is the reason why it is recommended that you use an efficient program removal tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller to completely remove Gator and related programs from your computer.
Recently, Gator has changed names to Claria. Some believe that the reason for the name change has something to do with the unsavory reputation that Gator has earned. In this case, stay away from Claria as well, unless you want another load of adware and potential spyware installed on your system.
Run a registry scan after you have uninstalled, deleted, and removed cmesys.exe. A good registry cleaner will pick and delete leftover entries and help you efficiently repair cmesys.exe related errors.