Ipssvc.exe is part of the Lenovo IPS Core Service, Maintenance Manager software or LANCOM VPN Client Service. Ipssvc.exe comes bundled with the Lenovo ThinkPad computers. This process is used when users create private connections over a public network, commonly known as the VPN or Virtual Private Network.
You can find ipssvc.exe in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. The known file sizes for this executable program on Windows XP are 73728 and 108080 bytes.
Some users report that ipssvc.exe consumes a lot of CPU resources. This resource hogging usually occurs when ipssvc.exe triggers the Symantec Tamper Protection Alerts.
The following Lenovo systems are known to be affected by the Symantec Tamper Protection Alert error displayed with “IPSSVC.EXE (PID xxx)”.
- ThinkPad Reserve Edition
- ThinkPad R51e
- ThinkPad R60; R60e
- ThinkPad R61; R61e; R61i
- ThinkPad T60; T60p
- ThinkPad T61; T61p
- ThinkPad X40; X41; X41 Tablet
- ThinkPad X60; X60s; X60 Tablet
- ThinkPad X61; X61s; X61 Tablet
- ThinkPad Z60m; Z60t; Z61e; Z61m; Z61p; Z61t
- ThinkCentre A51; A52
- ThinkCentre E50; E51
- ThinkCentre M51; M52
You may choose one of the following methods to repair the error:
Method 1: Update Maintenance Manager
To resolve this, you need to download and install ThinkVantage Maintenance Manager for Windows Vista 32 bit and Windows XP ThinkCentre or ThinkPad on your PC.
After you have downloaded the package, perform the following steps to install it on your PC:
- Log in to Windows as an Administrator.
- Extract the package by double-clicking on it.
- Open the folder where you extracted the files and then double-click on the Setup.exe file to start the installation process.
- Follow the screen directions to complete the installation process.
- Click Finish to restart your PC and complete the installation.
If you want to know which version is installed in your machine, perform the following.
- Click Start and point to All Programs.
- Select ThinkVantage.
- Click Maintenance Manager.
- Open the About tab.
Version information for Maintenance Manager and included driver will be displayed.
Method 2: Disable or Remove Ipssvc.exe
If you are not using VPN and if you are facing the high CPU usage problems by the ipssvc.exe process, you may disable it. In case you want to get rid of the process completely, you may uninstall the Maintenance Manger utility by using the Add or Remove Programs or a reliable program uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller.