Startup.exe is an executable file that is used to launch various software programs. For example, it is used to launch the Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2 game. You may receive the following error message when you try to start the Zoo Tycoon 2 game:
"Another instance of startup.exe is already running."
Also, when you double-click the Zoo Tycoon 2 icon to launch it, the start screen may not display and the may game fail to start.
Depending on the problem you face, you may use one of the following methods to resolve your problem:
Method 1: Stop the already running Startup.exe process
- Right-click on taskbar, and then select Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager window, open the Processes tab.
- Locate startup.exe in the Image Name column, right-click on it and then select End Process.
- If prompted, click Yes to confirm your decision.
- Exit Task Manager and try to open Zoo Tycoon 2 again.
Note: If you are using Windows Vista, then type taskmgr in the Start Search box and then press Enter.
Method 2: Change the settings of the Zoo Tycoon 2 shortcut
To change the settings, perform the following steps:
- Right-click on the Zoo Tycoon shortcut on the Desktop and then click Properties.
- In the Target box on the Shortcut tab, change the file name from startup.exe to zt.exe. Do not make any other change. After you have made the change the new path should look like-along with the quotation marks:
- Next, click the OK button to save your changes and exit the properties dialog box.
- After the change is done double-click on the shortcut to launch the Zoo Tycoon 2 game.
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\zt.exe”
Note: If the Zoo Tycoon shortcut is not on your Desktop, in Windows Explorer, navigate to the Zoo Tycoon folder within the Program Files folder. In the Zoo Tycoon folder, right-click on Startup.exe, select Create Shortcut, and then select Yes to create the shortcut on the Desktop.
Startup.exe is also known to belong to spyware programs. So, if you notice startup.exe process running on your computer without any reason, it is quite likely that your PC is infected. If this is the case, you must immediately update your antispyware software and perform a thorough scan of your computer. If you have still not invested in an antispyware tool, it is recommended that you go opt for a reliable and efficient tool, such as Spyware Cease. This tool enables you to perform a thorough scan of your system and the registry and sweeps your PC clean for any information related to spyware.
Spyware programs are known to add several registry entries, some even embedded, non-removable ones that at times, make it practically impossible to get rid of them. This is the reason why, it is recommended that you use an advanced registry tool, such as RegServe and perform a deep registry scan and clean up. Doing this will help you remove all unwanted and malicious spyware entries and ensure complete spyware removal.