The lucallbackproxy.exe or the Symantec LiveUpdate CallBack Proxy file belongs to the Symantec’s LiveUpdate program and was first introduced with LiveUpdate version 3.0 in 2006. The LiveUpdate program can either be run manually or can be configured to run automatically on a regular basis to update various Symantec products, such as Norton Antivirus, PCAnywhere, and Norton Internet Security tools. Lucallbackproxy.exe works by streaming updates available on the Symantec servers to your computer.
Due to 24×7 connection to the fast, broadband Internet these days, taking measures to combat increasing online threats caused by virus, Trojans, spyware, adware and hackers are essential. This is the reason why the updates are becoming heavier by the day.
CallBack Proxy module has been developed keeping this issue in mind. So, if there are several updates to be downloaded, LiveUpdate opens multiple instances of the CallBack Proxy module with each instance downloading a different update. This way the overall download speeds up and your Norton products are updated much faster.
Now that you know there can be multiple instances of lucallbackproxy.exe running on your computer, don’t be surprised if you see the file multiple times in Task Manager when the LiveUpdate is running.
The following error message may be displayed when LiveUpdate is running:
LU1823: LiveUpdate is already running. Please wait for this LiveUpdate session to finish" while running LiveUpdate for a Norton 2008 product”
When the error displays, perform the following steps to resolve the problem:
Step 1: Wait for a few minutes and then try to run LiveUpdate again. If the error still displays, proceed further.
Step 2: Disable the product protection temporarily.
- In the lower left corner of your Norton Product window, click Options and then select Norton AntiVirus or Norton Security Center.
- In the How to protect your product from hacker section on the right pane, clear the Turn on protection for Norton products check box.
- Finally, click Apply to save your changes and then click the OK button.
Step 3: Close the LiveUpdate session that is currently running on the system.
- Open Task Manager either by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys or right-click on the taskbar and then select Task Manager.
- On the Processes tab, right-click and the select End Process for the following processes:
- Lucomserver.exe or Lucoms~1.exe
Step 4: Reinstall the LiveUpdate feature.
- To reinstall LiveUpdate, do one of the following:
- If you have a Norton 2008 product CD, insert it and then navigate to the cddrive:\Support\LUpdate file.
- If you have a downloaded version, you need to proceed to the next step.
- Next, on Windows XP, select Start > Run, type %temp% and then press Enter. On Windows Vista, select All Programs > Accessories > Run, type %temp% and then press Enter.
- Depending on your product, open the NAV or NIS folder and then open, Support/LUpdate.
- Double-click on the WLUEX.msi file, click Repair, and then click Next.
- Click Next and then click the Finish button.
Step 5: Finally, re-enable the product protection by selecting the Turn on protection for Norton products check box that you cleared in step 2.
If you think that the Lucallbackproxy.exe file on your computer is a virus or a spyware, we recommend that you thoroughly check your system with the help of a good antivirus and antispyware tool. You should also perform a registry cleanup and repair using an efficient registry tool, such as RegServe.