Itmrtsvc.exe ? What Is It?
Itmrtsvc.exe is also known as eTrust PestPatrol Real-Time Service. This process belongs to eTrust PestPatrol Realtime Protection software and its main job is to resolve issues that affect PestPatrol products.
By default, the itmrtsvc.exe process loads automatically when you start your system.
Is Itmrtsvc.exe an Essential Startup Process?
No, Itmrtsvc.exe is not an essential process and you can safely remove it from your startup sequence. You can easily run the itmrtsvc.exe process manually whenever you require it.
To remove itmrtsvc.exe from your startup sequence, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start menu and then the Run command.
- Next, in the Open box, type the msconfig command to open the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Next, click the Startup tab.
- Clear the checkbox before itmrtsvc.exe or eTrust PestPatrol Real-Time Service and click Apply to save your changes.
- Next, click OK to close the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Startup programs consume substantial computer resources at the time of system startup. To decrease your PC?S startup and shutdown time, it is recommended that you only allow essential programs to load automatically at startup.
Issues with Itmrtsvc.exe
The itmrtsvc.exe process is at times known to cause system slowdowns or system freeze up problems due to its high CPU consumption. You may want to remove this process if you find it continuously consuming enormous CPU resources.
Removing itmrtsvc.exe does not have any ill effect on other running processes of the PestPatrol product installed on your PC.
Itmrtsvc.exe Removal Process
To remove itmrtsvc.exe permanently, you need to do the following tasks:
- Terminate the itmrtsvc.exe process.
- Remove the itmrtsvc.exe file.
Step 1 ? Terminate the Itmrtsvc.exe Process
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access the Windows Task Manager window.
- Next, select the Processes tab.
- Select itmrtsvc.exe from the list of current processes and click the End Process tab.
Step 2 ? Delete the Itmrtsvc.exe file
- Click Start and then select Search.
- Next, select All files and folders.
- Type itmrtsvc.exe in the box under All or part of the file name and select Local Hard Drives in the box under Look in.
- Click Search to locate the itmrtsvc.exe file on your computer.
- Right click on the itmrtsvc.exe file and select Delete to get rid of this file.
Is itmrtsvc.exe a virus?
No, it is not. The true itmrtsvc.exe file is a safe process.
However, writers of malware programs, such as virus, worm, and trojans deliberately give their processes similar names as existing legitimate processes to escape detection. To ensure no rogue itmrtsvc.exe is running on your PC, go through the list of currently running processes in the Windows Task Manager window.
If you find that you have an itmrtsvc.exe process running even when you do not use any PestPatrol products, chances are that your PC is infected with malware. Immediately run a malware scan of your system using efficient antimalware software, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.
It is also a good practice to follow up your virus and spyware scanning tasks with a registry cleanup using a robust tool such as RegServe. Registry cleanup helps in eliminating any left behind or undetected malware entries embedded deep within the registry tree.